Arena

Arena

Postby Elmar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:48 am

Today an Arena System was introduced, first for three weeks only, where MOBA-style 7 vs. 7 tournaments are held on a separate server:
http://lineage2.plaync.com/event/p2016/ ... ttle/index

http://lineage2.power.plaync.com/wiki/% ... 8%EB%82%98

Unlike with the World Olympiad, you do not teleport your original character to this server for 5 minutes but create a new character or have the highest one on your account copied. Only one character can be created on the Arena server.
But no matter what character you have, once you have entered the system you must choose one of 7 archtype classes (no Summoner or Ertheia classes available), getting a standardized equipment and standardized skills. Each character is set to lvl 0 at the beginning of each tournament:

The sticker "Beta" on the event page could indictae that this might be a permanent system in the future.
Elmar

Re: Arena

Postby Laby » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:10 am

There is some nice potential here
Laby - Naia EU Server, Ptitlaby - Gran Kain RU Server
Pony Master \o/
Laby

Postby Aram » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:26 am

Look pretty cool!
I'd dreamed about this, when my friends tried to teach me dota :Р
But servers available when I'll work on my job... Try to show something on stream at sunday :)
Aram

Postby Skeeto » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:54 am

Summoners too op :S

„Achieve one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the peak of skills. Summit of skill is to defeat the enemy without fighting.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Skeeto

Postby Elmar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:19 pm

I think the reason why there are no Summoners is that the developers want to keep it simple, with a more or less standardized party setup. The Arena System is rather fast-paced. Once the (automatic and randomized) party matching is completed and you are in the Waiting Room, you have only 3 minutes to pick your class until you are moved into the combat area (a slightly modified Aden Town, remotely similar to the Gludio instance). Imagine the discussions about who is playing which class if there were 8 or 10 classes available :D
Elmar

Postby Elmar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Laby wrote:There is some nice potential here

Indeed.

1. For the players the Arena offers instant access to PvP. All you have to do is to make an account, buy game time or a monthly subscription and create a lvl 0 character. No need to level up, no need to get equipment. That's all provided by the system.

2. For NCKorea the Arena means a return to a pay-to-play system from lvl 0 on (not only from lvl 85, as it is on the regular servers). Running pay-to-win events like today's Brooch System update is all very nice, but it can't really generate a constant and reliable revenue.

Fun for the players, money for NCsoft, happiness all around :D
Elmar

Postby Skeeto » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:28 pm

The new brooches are more like a cancer than a fun ;p

„Achieve one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the peak of skills. Summit of skill is to defeat the enemy without fighting.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Skeeto

Postby Elmar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:23 pm

Aram wrote:Look pretty cool!
I'd dreamed about this, when my friends tried to teach me dota :Р
But servers available when I'll work on my job... Try to show something on stream at sunday :)

Unlike the Olympiad or the Ceremony of Chaos, the Arena server is open 24/7. This leads of course to a certain "thinning out" of possible participants in the tournaments, which are possibly again divided by 3, since after you have logged in you will come to life either in Giran, Goddard or Schuttgart (it doesn't say whether the party matching is localized or takes players from the whole server).

Insofar Sunday afternoon Korea time would be a good time to try out this feature - at that time there are the most players online. Horuswar was playing on the Korean GoD PTS and as a Healer he had no problem partying with Koreans. Just follow the Tank and the Damage Dealers and try to keep them alive :)
There are many possible strategies for such a tournament, like are you first taking out the other players, or dispatching half of your party to protect your own Lilith/Anakim while the other half is going after the opposition's faction leader? Those discussions will probably be full of slang and acronyms and difficult to follow for you :)
Elmar

Postby Aram » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:54 am

Skeeto wrote:Those discussions will probably be full of slang and acronyms and difficult to follow for you :)

I imagine... My Korean very poor, but I'm notice, most of slang words are similar to english.
Diligently study :D
Aram

Postby Quim » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Looks good, about time actually. We've had the AMC competition for few editions but it was so sporadic. I hope someday we can have same for 1v1 but I think NCSOFT will keep the pay2win on 1v1 (Olympiad), since that brings them some income for serious Olympiad players trying to get every advantage, probably.

One thing I couldn't understand from the article, is it possible to create a group with people you already know or it's random matching?

Off-topic:
After they implement the 1v1 cross-server Olympiad, they implement also the 'tag-team' version of B&S cross-server arena, now even more resembling B&S cross-server arena. In B&S there is cross-server arena for 1v1 and 3v3, where character stats are equalized, and a full geared lv50 can match even a against a naked character in starter gear and they will have same stats. There are some caveats but that's the basic idea.
Quim

Next

Return to Archive