Arena

Re: Arena

Postby Elmar » Sun May 01, 2016 5:40 pm

ZeroX wrote:... I'm actually wondering, if this is on beta and they have plans to keep it up, if there will be any development for it but i dont see how puting it on free to play servers would fund it's own development.

Well, in Korea it's not free to play; you need a subscription or game time points, basically like a Premium Account at Innova (I speak almost no Russian, but I believe Aram mentioned this at the beginning of the video). The Arena is on a separate server you pick on the server selection screen, like a Classic server. Innova has basically free-to-play regular servers plus absolutely pay-to-play Classic servers, so for them it should be no problem to add another pay-to-play server.

NCWest does not have this infrastructure at the moment, and since they can't even get Helios out - I suspect Juji is now the QA Department, singlehandedly runnning the whole of L2@NCWest - I somehow don't see them introducing the Arena System in the next year or two.

A certain problem as far as financial viability is concerned could be the player numbers. There are of course quite a few players in the Arena instances while Aram is recording on the Gatekeeper platform in Giran. But those are basically 1/3 of all the players, regular and Classic servers together, who are interested in Arena tournaments (the other 2/3 are in Goddard resp. Schuttgart). One hour game time (i.e. the Arena time) costs 1 dollar in Korea. With maybe 500 players on a Sunday afternoon this does not look like a lot of revenue.
Elmar

Postby Aram » Sun May 01, 2016 8:12 pm

Elmar, you absolutely right - only PA (w. game time) playes can get into the Arena server. By the way, at Rus. localization only PA (Live ver.) players may startup another one L2 window. Full list PA at Rus. and Euro loc. identical (https://4gameforum.com/threads/542683/#post-8338600)
Aram

Postby Illogical » Sun May 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Elmar wrote:NCWest does not have this infrastructure at the moment, and since they can't even get Helios out - I suspect Juji is now the QA Department, singlehandedly runnning the whole of L2@NCWest - I somehow don't see them introducing the Arena System in the next year or two.

When I asked Juji about the Conquest System few months back during the QnA he gave an unclear answer but basically saying the same thing; no man power, no finances, no files/info from Korea. So I doubt the Arena will ever show up to NCWest, same goes for the mobile games and whatnot. I even doubt NCWest would run Eternal. And yes, with no clear info on Helios and only teases... they're not helping themselfs.
Illogical

Postby ZeroX » Mon May 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Well i realized that maybe for innova servers, having premium account enabled could possibly be an idea to enter such server, but it comes into this realm where it is p2p servers, and theres good MOBAs out there that are f2p with 100times more development. Also it means ncsoft L2 team has to run 3 diferent games at once, classic, current main, arena. :?
ZeroX

Postby Elmar » Mon May 02, 2016 7:57 pm

Those f2p MOBAs are financing themselves via a store where you can buy add-ons for your character?

The thing I like about this Beta version of the Arena System is that there is no way to monetize it. Level and equipment are all set back to zero after each tournament. If NCsoft keeps this for the possible permanent version this would be a different business model, an escape from the pay-to-win pressures in other games. Just pay your monthly subscription and have no end of equal-level PvP (even though our NCWest heroes will soon start to use some sort of radar for facilitating the house-to-house searches :D ). On the other hand I really don't see how the subscriptions from a few hundred players would pay for server-upkeep, forum moderation and maintenance, not to mention developing a find-your-friends party matching system or additional arenas (for which you would need more players to fill them anyway). It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Elmar

Postby ZeroX » Mon May 02, 2016 8:36 pm

For league of legends (moba) most players buy skins made from developers which have diferent price ranges( the more expensive the skin, even the animation of skills may change), betwen 3euro and 20euro depending on how much work is involved in skins, they are very sucessful due to the huge playerbase.

Yes i do wonder how this server wil pay for itself, i actually really wanted this idea for long time and there was a priv server developer doing this with classes from DOTA but ultimately the project was too big for 1 man. Anyways im not sure how the western playerbase would react, seeing as you have less skills(which is typical for MOBA to create more character diversity and not overloaded kits for certain classes) and only 7 classes while on the main game u have 30+ skills and 30+ classes, and from this i really cant imagine them keeping only 7 classes for a P2P system, unless, they sell cosmetics/visual add-ons.
ZeroX

Postby Elmar » Tue May 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Armor skins that are nothing but eye candy would be a possibility, even though they would have to stay on as the players upgrade their armors at the Priest of Dawn through Dark Crystal all the way to Dynasty:
http://lineage2.power.plaync.com/wiki/% ... 8#hd106498

What with the random party matching I see a certain problem there. In Aram's original Twitch footage you can see at around 18:00~19:11 (about 45 minutes on the remaining-time counter at the top of the screen) how they are repeatedly asking "the gentleman from Kain" aka Aram to upgrade his armor (he doesn't seem to have the adena for it). Now imagine everybody wearing some kind of appearance, cute Dwarfies in formal wear, mighty Orcs in school uniforms ... . Even though the real names are shown, people will usually be strangers to each other, and not seeing how everybody is equipped will create an additional layer of confusion :D
Elmar

Postby Lineage » Tue May 03, 2016 3:07 pm

Elmar wrote:Those f2p MOBAs are financing themselves via a store where you can buy add-ons for your character?

The thing I like about this Beta version of the Arena System is that there is no way to monetize it. Level and equipment are all set back to zero after each tournament. If NCsoft keeps this for the possible permanent version this would be a different business model, an escape from the pay-to-win pressures in other games. Just pay your monthly subscription and have no end of equal-level PvP (even though our NCWest heroes will soon start to use some sort of radar for facilitating the house-to-house searches :D ). On the other hand I really don't see how the subscriptions from a few hundred players would pay for server-upkeep, forum moderation and maintenance, not to mention developing a find-your-friends party matching system or additional arenas (for which you would need more players to fill them anyway). It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

They can monetize it, by selling "Reset" scrolls for example, so you can join arena as many times as you want. They could sell scrolls, usable only in arena, boosting you adena gain by 50%, or your defense abilities by 30%!

Scrolls, which could unlock special items from NPC in arena.

And all the above, could be connected to the live servers, via from example a token system, where you can obtain them from the arena participation, and then exchange them for this or that at Olympiad NPC.

It's easy to make the connections, when money is involved. But as already has been mentioned, the current lack of a vast player base, could only lead to today's reality, where only the big spenders can actually get benefited from store's sales.
Tera - 65 Archer/65 Berserker/65 Warrior/65 Gunner/65 Sorcerer - Inactive
Naia 99/95/80/80 - Retired
Core 100 Sayha Seer/98 Shilien Saint - Inactive
BnS 50 FM/50 BM - Inactive
WoW 60 Arcane Mage - Retired
Lineage

Postby Elmar » Wed May 04, 2016 9:20 am

Lineage wrote:They can monetize it, by selling "Reset" scrolls for example, so you can join arena as many times as you want.

While the term "instance" for the Arena is technically correct, it is maybe misleading. It is not an instance with a timer, like for example the Nursery in the Seed of Annihilation, but an instance like an Olympiad arena. On the one Arena server there are several Arena instances where tournaments are going on at the same time. Similar to an Olympiad match, an Arena tournament ends either when Lilith or Anakim have been killed, or after 60 minutes, when the points of which team has killed more opponents are calculated (when you are killed during the tournament, you can go "Back to Village", in this case back to Lilith or Anakim):

http://lineage2.power.plaync.com/wiki/% ... 8#hd106498

Like in the Olympiad, you can participate in tournaments as long as the Arena server is open to the public, i.e. from 18:00 to 22:00 during the week and from 10:00 to 22:00 on Saturday and Sunday:
http://lineage2.plaync.com/board/notice ... eId=616130
So selling "Reset Scrolls" would not make sense, and while they could sell scrolls, usable only in the Arena, that boost your adena gain by 50% or your defense abilities by 30%, this would be counterproductive. The attraction of the Arena comes from there being a level playing field, with everybody starting out at lvl 0 and No-Grade equipment. Like Aion is an in-house competition for Lineage 2 and Lineage Eternal for Lineage 1, such a pay-to-win solution would lock out the people who believe in sportsmanship and drain the credit card warriors from the regular servers, not leading to a net increase of revenue :)
Elmar

Postby Elmar » Thu May 05, 2016 5:20 am

To give players an opportunity to fight to their heart's content during the holidays between Labor Day and Buddha's Birthday (this year May 14), the opening hours of the Arena server have been extended from 22:00 to 24:00:
http://lineage2.plaync.com/board/notice ... eId=616532

Apparently there are quite a few players in Korea who are interested in this system after all :)
Elmar

PreviousNext

Return to Archive