Camelot Unchained ("DAoC 2"), player building video + intro

Camelot Unchained ("DAoC 2"), player building video + intro

Postby JamesGoblin » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:55 pm

A quick description: game already has close to $8M of budget and it's made by Mark Jacobs (creator of Warhammer Online and Dark Age of Camelot), PvP MMORPG where players make EVERYTHING - gear, weapons, buildings, spells...(!) Say, this is quick intro to it's building, player made footage from alpha tests (still quite rough) - https://ello.co/jamesgoblin/post/lwcc9qkee_5xilkhpqhjma


If you are curious, you can check Camelot's IGN Wiki ( http://www.ign.com/wikis/camelot-unchained ) for quick intro and more pics + videos. Game access now is not too cheap (something like $60), but beta starts in a month or two (?) and they should have open beta (free tests) in 2017, right before launch.

PS Here's a fancy pic:

Image
Image
User avatar
JamesGoblin
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: Camelot Unchained ("DAoC 2"), player building video + in

Postby Lineage » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:24 pm

After i saw your post, i checked youtube, and i found a video series from CloakingDonkey here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... e0wmG2pEX5, explaining many features of the game.

Sounds awesome to be honest, the PvE/PvP/Crafting/Skills, but there are things like overall graphics, game support, economic model, which are crucial, at least for me.

So i guess we will see in the next months.
Tera - 65 Archer/65 Berserker/65 Warrior/65 Gunner/65 Sorcerer - Inactive
Naia 99/95/80/80 - Retired
Core 100 Sayha Seer/98 Shilien Saint - Inactive
BnS 50 FM/50 BM - Inactive
WoW 60 Arcane Mage - Retired
Lineage
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Camelot Unchained ("DAoC 2"), player building video + in

Postby Elmar » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:49 pm

And here is the official website:
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

I must say, that's a really ambitious project, with so many races and classes. Let's see whether it will ever see the light of the day :)
User avatar
Elmar
 
Posts: 4821
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Germany/China

Re: Camelot Unchained ("DAoC 2"), player building video + in

Postby Lineage » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:36 pm

Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20uBoxgrlAI, Marc Jacobs the creator, explains the basics of Magic System.

Sounds complicated.

But after i have played as main class a Mage in WoW/Tera/BnS/Lineage II i have to say, what this guy has designed, it's at least intriguing :D
Tera - 65 Archer/65 Berserker/65 Warrior/65 Gunner/65 Sorcerer - Inactive
Naia 99/95/80/80 - Retired
Core 100 Sayha Seer/98 Shilien Saint - Inactive
BnS 50 FM/50 BM - Inactive
WoW 60 Arcane Mage - Retired
Lineage
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Camelot Unchained ("DAoC 2"), player building video + in

Postby Elmar » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:49 pm

Not only complicated but above all time consuming. It certainly makes sense that spells take time to cast and that at full moon they are more powerful than at new moon, but I somehow wonder whether many players would be willing to organize their life around a video game. In Lineage 2 you also have Sieges every two weeks and dragon raids at fixed intervals, but the way the Camelot magic is interacting with the environment is taking things one big step further.

On the other hand, there might actually be a target group who is interested in a slow-paced pure PvP game, i.e. the opposite of a MOBA where you log in, do a 20 minute match and log out. Character growth like in an MMO, but no repetitive killing of monsters for exp and resources, i.e. probably no bot problem. The only question is, will people be tempted to use PvP software for automated assisting etc.? :D
User avatar
Elmar
 
Posts: 4821
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Germany/China

Re: Camelot Unchained ("DAoC 2"), player building video + in

Postby JamesGoblin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:46 pm

Lineage wrote:After i saw your post, i checked youtube, and i found a video series from CloakingDonkey here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... e0wmG2pEX5, explaining many features of the game.

Sounds awesome to be honest, the PvE/PvP/Crafting/Skills, but there are things like overall graphics, game support, economic model, which are crucial, at least for me.

So i guess we will see in the next months.


For what it's worth, graphics and animations in available videos ( out of the NDA ) are placeholders from million years ago, everyone is waiting for new ones in beta and especially for some more meaty combat footage.

Elmar wrote:And here is the official website:
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

I must say, that's a really ambitious project, with so many races and classes. Let's see whether it will ever see the light of the day :)


I agree it's extremely ambitious in many ways, even so much that they'll simply have to flop on at least some of these; But there should be enough "revolutionary" material remaining. They'll certainly launch, the real question is the quality of combat and general polish they'll achieve till then.

Lineage wrote:Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20uBoxgrlAI, Marc Jacobs the creator, explains the basics of Magic System.

Sounds complicated.

But after i have played as main class a Mage in WoW/Tera/BnS/Lineage II i have to say, what this guy has designed, it's at least intriguing :D


My favorite parts of magic, all from Camelot's Wiki:

- Magic (hmm...magic as part of magic...smart...) - http://camelot.gamepedia.com/Magic

- A.I.R. system - http://camelot.gamepedia.com/A.I.R._system

- and especially pets <3 - http://camelot.gamepedia.com/Pets

Elmar wrote:Not only complicated but above all time consuming. It certainly makes sense that spells take time to cast and that at full moon they are more powerful than at new moon, but I somehow wonder whether many players would be willing to organize their life around a video game. In Lineage 2 you also have Sieges every two weeks and dragon raids at fixed intervals, but the way the Camelot magic is interacting with the environment is taking things one big step further.

On the other hand, there might actually be a target group who is interested in a slow-paced pure PvP game, i.e. the opposite of a MOBA where you log in, do a 20 minute match and log out. Character growth like in an MMO, but no repetitive killing of monsters for exp and resources, i.e. probably no bot problem. The only question is, will people be tempted to use PvP software for automated assisting etc.? :D


Speaking of automated assisting, CU is not tab target - it has some elements of it, same as some action combat and some uncommon stuff like targeting and healing body parts ( https://twitter.com/codecorsair/status/ ... 5177187328 ). Add physics, guard (Warhammer Online, sharing damage taken with tanks nearby) and collision detection - this includes spells colliding with bodies, objects AND other spells i.e. projectile is not bound to reach the target.

There's more in CU wiki on combat, content & pics are dated but you'll get the idea - http://camelot.gamepedia.com/Combat

Also, for some more alpha footage you can check this comparison with Crowfall (still alpha, still rough, blah...) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQmCG33 ... e=youtu.be
Image
User avatar
JamesGoblin
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: Camelot Unchained ("DAoC 2"), player building video + in

Postby JamesGoblin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:17 pm

Couple new screenshots, they improved environments look a lot (still alpha tho):

Image

Image

Image

Image
Image
User avatar
JamesGoblin
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:38 pm


Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest