Question for hardware gurus

Re: Question for hardware gurus

Postby Dawe » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Another possible problem with the RAM... i just read on the discussion that i cant use RAM modules that uses more that 1.5V, (the ones i selected runs at 1.65V) because i could at the worst scenario damage the memory controller in the CPU, or loose the warranty at least...

Currently i am trying to dig more info about the matter.
Dawe

Postby BergEr » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:58 pm

Yeah, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
The cpus u listed is only certified for 1333/1600MHz RAM.
Stop looking at overclocking if u dont plan on doing it (or can't take the risk) =D

RAM will do what you tell it to do, someting that need 1.65V @ 2400MHz should rune fine at 1600MHz 1.5V.
Ofc you pay for nothing :)
BergEr

Postby Dawe » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:24 pm

The problem was, as said by one guy in the discussion, that the 1.5V+ RAM would not work at all, but after more reading i think that's a complete ****.

I still cant choose between Capacity, speed and price.... Today, a friend of mine told me that 16GB i wanted, i don't really need... according to him, i would be happy even with 8GB of RAM.... what you think?
Dawe

Postby BergEr » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:40 pm

Dawe wrote:The problem was, as said by one guy in the discussion, that the 1.5V+ RAM would not work at all, but after more reading i think that's a complete ****.

I still cant choose between Capacity, speed and price.... Today, a friend of mine told me that 16GB i wanted, i don't really need... according to him, i would be happy even with 8GB of RAM.... what you think?

Hard to know since u haven't said what you will use this pc for.
While playing L2 I used over 16GB RAM daily.
Now playing WoW I only use 14GB~.
BergEr

Postby SirBash » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 pm

16gb. I'll upgrade Mt ram to 32mb someday.
SirBash

Postby Dawe » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:28 pm

16 GB only for L2? RAMdisk?
Dawe

Postby Laby » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:40 pm

It also simply depends on how you are typically playing. Are you the type of guy to simply put the game in full screen, sit back relax and enjoy it ? Or are you going to play while Firefox/Chrome is open, with VLC playing some music in the background and a dozen of other softwares open since you prefer to have them ready if y ou feel like using it ?

Also if you multibox more RAM will simply help :)

I sit on 8GB RAM here, and I sometime feel quite limited but I am the type of guy to have a billions of things open at same time :)
Laby - Naia EU Server, Ptitlaby - Gran Kain RU Server
Pony Master \o/
Laby

Postby BergEr » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:49 pm

Laby wrote:It also simply depends on how you are typically playing. Are you the type of guy to simply put the game in full screen, sit back relax and enjoy it ? Or are you going to play while Firefox/Chrome is open, with VLC playing some music in the background and a dozen of other softwares open since you prefer to have them ready if y ou feel like using it ?

Also if you multibox more RAM will simply help :)

I sit on 8GB RAM here, and I sometime feel quite limited but I am the type of guy to have a billions of things open at same time :)

There are indeed different ways of using your pc. Which is why its very hard to help ppl that dont give info.

My setup atm:
memory usage: 8939/16337 MB (54%)

I would never be able to use ramdisk on only 16GB, which is why next system will be 64GB :)
BergEr

Postby Draecke » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:20 pm

if all you do is play L2 so have say 3 clients up with winamp or youtube & vent/ts running 8GB RAM is more then enough if you go beyond that then yeah get 16GB just take the normal ones and not the overclock type to save money as RAM is kinda cheap these days anywayz
Draecke

Postby SirBash » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:11 pm

Draecke wrote:if all you do is play L2 so have say 3 clients up with winamp or youtube & vent/ts running 8GB RAM is more then enough if you go beyond that then yeah get 16GB just take the normal ones and not the overclock type to save money as RAM is kinda cheap these days anywayz

I look at it as more of a way to future proof my pc so I don't have to upgrade as often. 8gb might be sufficient now but in 1-2 years it will most likely be obsolete. L2 becomes more and more ram hungry with every update it seems. I have a pc with 8gb and another with 16gb.
SirBash

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic