Checking L2 again, got some questions

Checking L2 again, got some questions

Postby KenLee » Wed May 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Hello again! Last time I've played this game was 4 years ago, just like my posts here. I've been playing Aion, which now is kinda boring till the new update and revamp, which may come in half year or who knows when and it might not be good from the looks of it. Therefore I reinstalled L2. Usually there aren't that many changes after a break from this game but this time too many things have changed.

I've been trying to read the official forum (NA) for some useful information but it seems people are too busy pointing out how dead this game is and that p2w has gone through the roof. I can imagine quite well, as I've been playing another NC game. I also don't plan on pvping, as I remember I could never compete with level and gear. So, then I remembered about this forum, and here I am.

First question is about xp. From doing a couple of Kartia I've got the impression that xp is much easier to get now. I'm level 97 and I remember it took me a long time to get my xp bar moving in the past. I asked someone in the game and he said it's the same as before, maybe I'm remembering it wrong? Anything changed?

Is anyone doing the old stuff anymore? Looking through recruitment window, I don't see people doing spicula, spezion, fortuna, istina, octavis and whatever else was there. Even kartia seems that people only prefer duo. I remember I did a lot of stuff but can't remember all the mechanics.

Fishing. It seems so many players are fishing. Is it that rewarding? I have some old corroded poles with different grade. It says on them that I can exchange them at a fishing guild member for a fee. I've been at those npcs and even in Heine, also at aden reconstruction npc, none seems to take it and exchange it. What to do?

Adena and gear. It seems that adena is quite scarce and gear drop almost non existent. How am I supposed to get gear now if gear progression is non existent? It took me quite some time to get my gear, some parts even crafted, but there was a slow and steady progression. Adena wasn't a problem and even then, I was farming forts, coc afk on alts, oly and so on, to afford my gear. Btw, are those still worth spamming? On the other hand, with adena going down, prices went up a lot, probably because gear drop less. I've got the impression that gear sold now is just very old gear sold and resold again, not new gear.

There are also lots of other changes. What to do with the fame (my rep)? I used to buy things from oly npc but it seems it isn't required anymore. I see there are some things called brooches. Should I bother with them as f2p player? Same with talismans, I remember there was only one permanent that you could upgrade and it was very expensive, now there are more permanent ones. New classes, worth playing any of them? How should I progress from day to day now, what is important to do?

Lastly, should I continue on NA or move to Europe? I'm from Europe and I was considering starting here but I know nothing about it. The thought of having decent timezone and lower ping is appealing. On the other hand, my characters in NA are all special snowflakes, like different races than the ones their class used to be, as I've changed with GoD update.

Thanks for reading this. I don't need answers for all of this but a general direction or links will suffice. Thanks in advance.
KenLee

Re: Checking L2 again, got some questions

Postby Elmar » Wed May 02, 2018 3:24 pm

The way you get exp has indeed been changed. Like for example the Kartia bosses have been increased in difficulty, but the exp they give has also been boosted. And the exp the monsters in almost all lvl 85~99 hunting grounds give has been increased.

After a change in the Elcyum Powder exchange rate, Fishing is no longer profitable. People simply do it to level up in peace.

The change to the Fishing System has happened some time ago - it is well possible that the ability to do anything with the old fishing rods has been removed from the game.

I myself do the Olympiad during the winter time - during summer daylight savings it's too late for me - for the Giant's Energies you get from the Olympiad Starter quest, i.e. simply for participating. At lvl 97 you should have gotten a "question mark notification" about the Dimensional Rift. You should absolutely do that. Apart from being rather good exp from manageable monsters you get, among other things, Kaliel's Energies for safely upgrading your Seed Talisman, and at the end a Runestone, an item worth about 50 million adena which you will need to learn skills from lvl 99 onwards.

Your Personal Reputation aka Fame is now only useable in the Clan Store, i.e. you must be a member in a fairly high-level clan. There isn't anything good you can buy with it though - the Clan Cloaks have been cut out of the export version - so just keep your Fame and wait for better times.

I myself have just the free Brooch and lvl 1 Jewels you get from the Adventure Guild quest series. I can't say that they make much of a difference, but it's better than nothing.

Generally speaking, as a returning player you simply will not get beyond Hellbound and the Giants' Caves. There is no way whatsoever to get the necessary equipment for the higher-level hunting grounds in a legit way. So you might as well take it easy and just kill a few monsters when you have nothing else to do.

In Europe they have basically the same game as us, with some additional features like afk exping in the Royal Aden Training Camp or a speed-leveling instance which gets you from lvl 1 to 85 in about 20 minutes. They also have a much better grip on bots. If I were you, I would first look around a bit more on Chronos and then check out Innova. Make up your own mind and decide yourself what suits your personal situation best :)
Elmar

Postby Laby » Wed May 02, 2018 6:01 pm

There is also L2 Classic if you are interested by a more old school experience :) Skelth (Innova EU) is great !
Laby - Naia EU Server, Ptitlaby - Gran Kain RU Server, Laby - Skelth EU Classic Server
Pony Master \o/
Laby

Postby KenLee » Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Great answers, thank you both.

I was thinking the same, probably another update came along and my fishing poles are obsolete now. I remember they were expensive but I guess that can happen when you don't log in more often.

Giant's Energy was indeed the reason for farming olympiad. I got the message about dimensional rift every time I logged in, I said I'll check it first on some website or youtube but so far I forgot about it. Thanks for telling me it's important.

I don't plan on aiming for the top or anything, just getting 100 for now, as it was the goal in the past, and admire the view and do whatever from there. I always liked that L2 is the game where you're not bound to something and you can do whatever in the game and have fun.

I'm on Chronos indeed. I've tried to level up some mentee on my own so that I can unbind my gear for start, and that's when I found out there are still plenty of bots. Silly me that I've tried to invite them or talk with them and only to find out they die to mobs and stay there afk for hours, or trying to move to your dead mobs and attack them. I remember bots being a lot smarter, some even changed target when you were killing one mob. Now that I remember, even Aion NA is like this, with plenty of bots around, while playing Aion EU I haven't seen one in years. I guess I have to install it and see for myself.

About farming stuff the legit and slow way, I forgot to ask. Is there a way to farm my own R grade crystals or even gemstones? I remember I was doing something like a quest in the past to get gemstones, I forgot what it was, and for crystals and shots I was using the mentee system, which now has a lot of the stuff gone.

L2 classic seems interesting, as there is no p2w I suppose. Does it have the old 80 to 85 levels? I remember how painful those levels were in the past. I was active in the game for mostly all the p2p times. In a way I've played that, so I was looking to experiment a bit more with the new L2 now, or whatever is left of it. Will see in the future how it goes, I might try the classic.
KenLee

Postby Laby » Thu May 03, 2018 7:39 am

KenLee wrote:L2 classic seems interesting, as there is no p2w I suppose. Does it have the old 80 to 85 levels? I remember how painful those levels were in the past. I was active in the game for mostly all the p2p times. In a way I've played that, so I was looking to experiment a bit more with the new L2 now, or whatever is left of it. Will see in the future how it goes, I might try the classic.

Skelth is purely subscription based, and so far Innova politely declined korean suggestions about adding a shop. There is no plan to have an ingame shop at the moment, even if Russian classic servers have one (including mainly cosmetic items and XP items you can use up to level 60).

Classic is ... different. It is not simply following old updates, it's the old mixed with the new, and so far it's extremely interesting. The current max level is 85, but on Skelth I can count level 80 characters on one hand. Even when I include people who reached level 80 and deleveled since you still loose 4% of XP when death. However, you can start doing olympiad at level 55, and you could have fun in PvP starting 60+ at gludio siege (of course, all top clans are in the 76-78 range). Xp is a bit harder than before, while being easier aswell. There are some good places for Xping, some clan instances you can do weekly for Xp, and it simply helps the early level leveling.
Laby - Naia EU Server, Ptitlaby - Gran Kain RU Server, Laby - Skelth EU Classic Server
Pony Master \o/
Laby

Postby Elmar » Thu May 03, 2018 2:50 pm

KenLee wrote:I'm on Chronos indeed. I've tried to level up some mentee on my own so that I can unbind my gear for start, and that's when I found out there are still plenty of bots. Silly me that I've tried to invite them or talk with them and only to find out they die to mobs and stay there afk for hours, or trying to move to your dead mobs and attack them. I remember bots being a lot smarter, some even changed target when you were killing one mob. Now that I remember, even Aion NA is like this, with plenty of bots around, while playing Aion EU I haven't seen one in years. I guess I have to install it and see for myself.

About farming stuff the legit and slow way, I forgot to ask. Is there a way to farm my own R grade crystals or even gemstones? I remember I was doing something like a quest in the past to get gemstones, I forgot what it was, and for crystals and shots I was using the mentee system, which now has a lot of the stuff gone.

L2 classic seems interesting, as there is no p2w I suppose. Does it have the old 80 to 85 levels? I remember how painful those levels were in the past. I was active in the game for mostly all the p2p times. In a way I've played that, so I was looking to experiment a bit more with the new L2 now, or whatever is left of it. Will see in the future how it goes, I might try the classic.

Those bots you saw might have been players using looped macros for afk exping. Making a macro repeat itself, if you want to with a delay, is an option offered by NCsoft since one or two updates ago, but it's really only useful for automatically casting Sonatas on a boxed Buffer following you around. Afk hunting with looped macros is highly inefficient, and bad persons can make you PK them, go red, and then drop equipment. You will have seen the blue official notice upon logging in that afk macroing is not supported.

For R-Grade Gemstones you can do at lvl 97 the quest "Waiting for Pa'agrio" from the Orc at the entrance to the Blazing Swamp. The Reward Box you get there sometimes contains a Gemstone R-Grade. But the monsters at the Blazing Swamp are not easy to kill and the quest item acquisistion rate is about one out of five.
For Crystals R-Grade you can make an alt and hunt at lvl 93 on the Isle of Souls. With the Adevnture Guild quest series (you will get a question mark notification at lvl 85) you can level up fairly quickly, and the Golems there sometimes drop a Twilight Shield which you can crystallize.

But both methods are not viable to obtain Gemstones or Crystals in any significant number. You simply will have to face the fact that the game is de facto unplayable. Lineage 2 Classic might indeed be the better alternative. But keep in mind that drops in that version of the game have also been severely reduced, and you yourself will drop items even upon monster death and without having been red. Laby wrote a bit about the economy on Skelth here:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2096#p37716
Elmar

Postby KenLee » Thu May 03, 2018 11:41 pm

I guess that's what people were saying by afk macros. I was thinking they refer to bots. I didn't know about that. Great, you don't have to alt tab so often for Iss and whatever.

I think alternative ways of farming adena are more efficient, and buy the crystals and gems myself from others. I'm used to NC games being unplayable. In Aion is almost the same, if you focus on only one character you can't get far in the game. It's a little better in EU for the f2p players but in general Aion is heading the same path as L2. This is why people make multiple accounts. Lots of crazy people have over 20-30 accounts, to get currency on weekly basis on each one of them and participate in the events. For a lot of players it's an afk farm simulator, play 2 accounts, log out, play another 2 accounts afk and so on. I'm guessing in L2 might be the same, as people can afk farm oly and coc and other stuff with not so much effort, to provide for their main character.

L2 classic, thinking better about it, has one big problem for me. The competitive spirit in me, or what's left of it over the years, says play that game. I played most of that content, I should remember it. But on the other hand it requires a lot of time for that, time and patience that I don't have it like I had 10-15 years ago.
KenLee

Postby KenLee » Fri May 04, 2018 12:08 am

If you can bare a few more questions, I have some other things to clarify. Looking more clearly through my warehouse in NA, I have to say I don't know how to use some of the stuff I have in there more efficiently. I also don't remember buying them, I guess NC game me those at some point.

I don't really know what are those. Are those the hero weapons as in the oly? Any good using them?

Image Image Image

Are these with element or have some enchant? How can I make use of them and don't waste them?

Image Image

Are these the things to change within the class itself or can you go totally other class? Why is it 30 days and not just one time? Now that I remember, I think for other class it was called destiny stone or something.

I must say, no idea what's this one doing.

Then I have a bunch of items that I don't know how to make the most out of it.

Also another one for 7 days but it's 50%. Same for SP.

Then I have

I'm guessing I won't use this one too soon.

This one

I remember being a decent buff.

And finally this one

which I guess I'll have to use it when I'm using the xp pack or something.
KenLee

Postby Elmar » Fri May 04, 2018 7:02 am

The Ancient Hero's Weapons are rather good, if I remember correctly, with 450 Holy Attribute. And the best about them is that they use No-Grade Shots.

The Paulina Armor Sets are also rather good, with 3x100 Attribute on each piece, and they are R-Grade, i.e. you can use Seraph even if you are not yet lvl 95.

The Chaos Essence works only within the Class Archetype, i.e. Iss Sowrd Muse to Iss Spectral Dancer, but not to Wynn Elemental Master. When there is a Red Libra event on, presumably in summer, after the next update, you can change your Dual Class for a certain Gemstone fee to anything you want though.

The Expertise Rune enables you to use R99 equipment on a low-level character. It can be used for example for killing low-level Raid Bosses with R99 weapons very fast.
Attachments
PaulinaSeraphLight.jpg
PaulinaSeraphLight.jpg (107.89 KiB) Viewed 201 times
PaulinaSeraphHeavy.jpg
PaulinaSeraphHeavy.jpg (94.8 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Elmar

Postby KenLee » Fri May 04, 2018 10:55 am

Those seraph items are very good items but most likely not for my main character. I don't have great gear, it's seraph +4 set and bound, and working on mentee coins to unbind it, but it's permanent and has 120 element.

By the way, about mentee, is there something I've missed at level 84 going to 85? It seems the quests stop at 84, in case I didn't miss one of the quests. On subclass you can repeat these quests but not on main character, so I went to swamp and did my 84 to 85 level. It's good xp but it takes a while, as you hit low with S-grade free equipment and skills sometimes fail, and besides all that, there are plenty of bots around.

Thanks again for clarification. So, the chaos stone works as I presumed, change within the class itself. I'd probably change my dual from cardinal to some other healer, as a lot of skills are clan related, but I wouldn't change my dual entirely, with that libra. I had a lot of fun with it over the years, also changed so many times. I remember first I could only kill undead with it, then got skills to kill all types of mobs, then changed again with awakening. Kinda painful to solo with it but I never changed the class.

I think that r99 box is useless for now. First I need to acquire that R99 gear, and second, there it seems people don't bother with low lever raids. I'm guessing they don't drop anything besides xp. Thanks again!
KenLee

Next

Return to Questions