The innerworkings of momentum

The innerworkings of momentum

Postby KnightOfDarkness » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:17 am

A friend asked me about momentum. Now I know about general skill usage but not so much about momentum. A Google search turned up either nothing or people stating incorrect facts, many of them not even knowing how much momentum their skills even consume.

So if anyone could do a detailed write-up of how momentum works on momentum based skills the internet will thank you.

Basically...
-The bonus per momentum charge
-Whether the maximum bonus is maximum charges consumed or maximum charges present at the point of consumtion IE: 30% bonus for consuming 3 out of 15 or 150% bonus for consuming 3 out of 15.
-Whether its applied to skill power or overall skill damage (I assume skill power otherwise P.atk would be useful for those skills)l
-Anything I forgot.
KnightOfDarkness

Re: The innerworkings of momentum

Postby KnightOfDarkness » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Bump
KnightOfDarkness

Postby Elmar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:50 am

Having a Tyrr Maestro I use Momentum all the time, and I can confirm that it does increase damage. But I have no idea how much the bouns is, whether it's a percentage of the skill power or of the overall P.Atk. or a fixed amount.

What I can tell you is that the maximum bonus is the maximum charge being consumed, i.e. if you have it 3, otherwise 2 or 1, which will give you less damage.

This is really something you should ask Juji to make one of his featured Lab Reports about :)
Elmar

Postby KnightOfDarkness » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:26 am

If you have more than 3 does it take it all? Does it do higher da mms age?

Also jujis labs are incredibly slow to come out and lately he puts out drop rates instead of user requests.

Innova is faster but mostly out out what the gm wants to put out and most player requests are done incorrectly.
KnightOfDarkness

Postby Elmar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:28 am

The skill uses only what it needs. If you have for example right after using Force of Nature (charges you up to maximum Momentum) Momentum Lv. 10 and then use the attack skill Mega Strike, you will be down to Momentum Lv. 7 and the skill will have unleashed its maximum possible damage (you can't get higher damage than what Momentum Lv. 3 gives you). If you use Mega Strike again, you will be down to Momentum Lv. 4 etc.

In reality it's not as straightforward though, since with your passive skill Superior Momentum Mastery you can re-absorb Momentum with 20% probability during a normal physical attack (i.e. when the character starts just hammering away after the skill) and 40% during a Critical Attack. So you occasionally come out with Momentum Lv.8 soon after a Mega Strike :)
Elmar

Postby Sabotin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:28 am

- 10% of the base per charge consumed (e.g. 30% bonus for 3 charges)
- Like Elmar said it only takes up to what it says it can on the skill
- Overall damage
- Boost also applies to overall damage. Mega Strike and Jump Attack (all momentum skills?) have static damage for easy tests if you have a Tyrr.

Tried with a lv90 Tyrr Maestro with Mega Strike (~23k power) and Jump Attack (~11k power) on the Auctioneer in Schuttgart, with ~5k, ~8k and ~10k P.Atk (which made no relative difference to the effect of momentum).
Sabotin

Postby KnightOfDarkness » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:49 pm

Hmm its odd that some tyrrs claim doing more damage the more momentum they have stored up when attacking. Especially duelists.
KnightOfDarkness

Postby Sabotin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:51 pm

With the momentum skills? I tried with up to 15 momentum and it didn't make a difference for me. Ask them under what circumstances they notice a damage increase, there's other stuff that could be going on.
Sabotin

Postby KnightOfDarkness » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Well they could be full of it. These were the same guys who 2 years ago they told everyone to stop CCing the summoners and start CCing the archers so they could skill spam harder.
KnightOfDarkness

Postby Elmar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Maybe there is some confusion with Lightning Force, a power-increasing buff you can get at Lv.1 with 50% probability during a normal attack, and if you have Lightning Force Lv. 1 you can get with 20% probability Lv. 2 upon a Critical Hit, if you have Lv. 2 you can get with 10% probability Lv. 3 upon a Critical Hit, and if you have Lv. 3 you can get with 10% probability Enraged upon a Critical Hit .

Otherwise this thing sounds a bit like an urban legend, similar to the rumor that the Feral xxx Cries work only when you have Fist Weapons equipped :D
Attachments
LightningForceLv1.jpg
LightningForceLv1.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
Elmar

Next

Return to Warrior Classes